Albert Einstein is often credited as saying, “Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” The quote’s true origins are unknown, but the sentiment has a Facebook-shareable quality to it and has gained traction as modern attitudes toward education grow and shift.
In this episode we chat with the author of The Brave Learner and Raising Critical Thinkers, Julie Bogart. Julie draws on years of research and experience to discuss the flaws in our educational system exposed by the Covid-19 pandemic. School closures and distance learning have also offered families an opportunity to evaluate the direction of today’s schooling practices, and many agree: It’s time for change.
- The longstanding vulnerabilities in our educational system and the harm ultimately caused by standardized testing and teaching practices
- The uptick in homeschooling that has resulted from the pandemic and continues even as restrictions lift
- How can parents help cultivate a dynamic and diverse learning experience for children?
- Training our own critical thinking skills by interrogating our gut reactions
- Why it’s good to disagree
- Technology’s role in learning and the importance of unplugging regularly
- Learn more about Julie’s new book at: https://raisingcriticalthinkers.com/
- Check out Julie’s website, complete with supplementary materials for parents: https://bravewriter.com/
- Brave Writer Podcast: https://blog.bravewriter.com/category/podcasts/
Find Julie on social media:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bravewriter
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/juliebravewriter/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/bravewriter
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/bravewriter/_created/
About The New World Normal:
The New World Normal with Debbie Harrell examines the profound cultural shift incurred by COVID-19. As we re-enter society from the isolated chaos of a global pandemic, we have each been given an unprecedented opportunity to sculpt our culture. With this power comes the question: What kind of world would you like to live in? Each episode of The New World Normal looks forward with optimism and guidance from qualified guests to question a dynamic, a standard, or an institution that has perhaps been taken for granted. Join Debbie as she explores what worked, what didn’t, and what we can do about it.
Connect with Debbie: